For the last few years, the flat cap has been making a strong comeback. Once relegated to grandfathers and old-timey characters in movies, the flat cap is now a fashionable accessory for stylish men of all ages. If you’re thinking of incorporating a flat cap into your wardrobe, read on for some tips on how to wear a flat cap like a true gentleman.
What is a flat cap?
A flat cap is a type of hat that features a rounded crown and a short brim. It’s also sometimes called a driver’s cap or a golf cap. Flat caps are traditionally made from wool, tweed, or another heavy fabric, which makes them ideal for chilly weather.
History of flat cap
The flat cap has a long and rich history. It’s thought to have originated in the 14th century, and it was particularly popular among English peasants during the Tudor era. In the 18th century, flat caps became associated with members of the working class, while upper-class men preferred taller hats like top hats or bowlers.
Flat caps fell out of fashion in the early 20th century, but they experienced a resurgence in popularity during the 1970s. In recent years, celebrities like David Beckham and Ryan Gosling have helped make flat caps fashionable again.
How to wear a flat cap?
If you’re looking for a way to add a touch of dapper style to your wardrobe, look no further than the flat cap. This timeless piece of headwear has been worn by fashionable men for centuries and shows no signs of going out of style anytime soon. Whether you’re headed to the office or out for a night on the town, a flat cap can help you make a chic statement. Not sure how to wear one? Read on for our guide on how to rock a flat cap like a stylish gentleman.
Choose the Right Material
When shopping for a flat cap, you’ll want to pay close attention to the material. The type of fabric you choose will play a big role in how formal or casual your finished outfit looks. For example, wool is ideal for chilly weather and can be dressed up or down depending on the rest of your ensemble. On the other hand, linen is perfect for summer since it’s lightweight and breathable. No matter what season it is, you can’t go wrong with a classic tweed flat cap. This rustic fabric is ideal for adding some heritage-inspired style to your look.
Pick the Right Size
Once you’ve decided on the material, it’s time to focus on finding the right size. To ensure that your flat cap fits snugly and comfortably on your head, take some measurements before heading to the store or placing an online order. First, use a tape measure to determine the circumference of your head just above your ears—this will be your hat size. Next, measure from the center of your forehead to the base of your skull at the nape of your neck—this is your hat’s height or crown depth. Once you have these measurements, consult a size chart to find the corresponding flat cap size.
Choose the Right Style
Flat caps come in all sorts of different styles, so it’s important to choose one that complements your personal aesthetic. If you prefer a more traditional look, go for a classic newsboy cap with 6 panels and a button atop the crown. Or, if you want something a little more unique, try an ivy cap with 4 panels and side vents. For an ultra-stylish option that can be dressed up or down, opt for a herringbone flat cap with seersucker trimming.
Find the Right Fit
Once you’ve found a flat cap that fits your style, it’s time to make sure it fits your head. The perfect flat cap should sit level on your head without being too tight or too loose. There should also be enough room to fit two fingers between the band and your forehead.
There is a hat sizing chart available that can help you find your perfect fit. Hat sizes are based on the circumference of your head in inches or centimeters. If you don’t have a handy measuring tape, you can also use a string or ribbon to take your measurement. Once you have your hat size, consult a flat cap size chart to find the corresponding flat cap size. If you can’t seem to find a flat cap that fits just right, don’t hesitate to have one custom-made.
Wear it With Confidence
No matter how you choose to style your flat cap, the most important thing is to wear it with confidence. After all, looking good isn’t just about what you wear—it’s also about how you wear it. So go forth and rock your flat cap with pride, knowing that you’re channeling centuries of dapper style.
Purposes of flat cap
- Spruce up your wardrobe with a touch of dapper style.
- Make a statement that is fashionable and stylish.
- Look good
- Channel centuries of dapper style.Keep your head warm in winter weather.
- Protect your head from the sun in summer weather.
- Add a touch of style to any outfit, whether it’s formal or casual.
- Show that you’re fashion-savvy and up-to-date on the latest trends.
Flat cap styles
- classic newsboy caps with six panels and a button atop the crown
- ivy cap with four panels and side vents
- herringbone flat cap with seersucker trimming
How to choose the right flat cap for your face shape?
Now that you know how to find the perfect flat cap, it’s time to focus on choosing a style that complements your face shape. Not sure which type of flat cap is right for you? Here’s a quick guide:
- If you have an oval-shaped face: You’re lucky—almost any type of flat cap will look great on you.
- If you have a round-shaped face: Go for a flat cap with a slightly longer bill to help elongate your face.
- If you have a square-shaped face: Choose a soft, rounded cap to help balance out the angles of your jawline.
- If you have an oblong-shaped face: Try a flat cap with a shorter bill to help shorten the appearance of your face.
Flat cap vs a baseball cap
Not sure whether a flat cap or baseball cap is right for you? Here’s a quick rundown of the key differences between these two popular hat styles:
- Flat caps are typically made from wool, tweed, or linen, while baseball caps are usually made from cotton.
- Flat caps have a shorter bill and sit closer to the head, while baseball caps have a longer bill and sit further away from the head.
- Flat caps are more formal than baseball caps and are typically worn with dressier outfits. Baseball caps, on the other hand, are more casual and can be worn with everything from jeans to shorts.
How to wear a flat cap for different occasions?
Flat caps are incredibly versatile and can be worn for a variety of different occasions. Here are a few tips for how to style your flat cap depending on the event:
- For a casual look, you can wear flat caps with jeans, chinos, or corduroy pants.
- For a more formal look, you can wear flat caps with suits, sport coats, or dress pants.
- If you’re attending a sporting event, feel free to show your team spirit by wearing a flat cap in their colors.
- If you’re going to be outdoors for extended periods of time, choose a flat cap made from waterproof materials.
Accessories that can be paired with a flat cap
There are a few different accessories that can be paired with a flat cap, depending on the occasion. For a casual look, you might want to try pairing your flat cap with sunglasses and a scarf. If you’re dressing up for a more formal event, you could accessorize with a pocket square or lapel pin. And if you’re attending a sporting event, you could show your team spirit by wearing a flat cap in their colors.
When it comes to accessories, it’s really up to you and what you feel comfortable with. The most important thing is to have fun and experiment with different looks until you find one that you love.
Best ways to keep your flat cap in good condition
If you want your flat cap to last for years to come, it’s important to take good care of it. Here are a few tips for how to keep your flat cap in good condition:
- When not in use, store your flat cap in a cool, dry place.
- If your flat cap gets wet, allow it to air dry naturally. Do not put it in the dryer.
- If your flat cap gets wrinkled, you can use a steamer or iron on low heat to smooth out the fabric.
- If your flat cap starts to lose its shape, you can try reshaping it by stuffing it with paper and letting it sit overnight.
Takes Away: How to wear a flat cap
With its timeless style and versatile appeal, it’s no wonder that the flat cap has remained popular among fashionable men for centuries. If you’re looking to add this dapper piece of headwear to your wardrobe, keep our tips in mind as you shop around for the perfect fit. And don’t forget—when wearing a flat cap, confidence is key!
Are Timex Watches Good Quality? (4 Reasons Why)
Are Chinos Formal? (Answered)