The brand of glass we recommend at The Refined is Riedel. Riedel wine glasses have been in production for over 250 years and continued to serve the wine industry, but are Riedel Dishwasher Safe?
But do you find it painful washing wine glasses? You know your wine glasses need good care if they are to last and do justice to the fine wines you serve in them, and the aftercare given to wine glasses is just as important as when you’re using them. Every glass must be cleaned properly without affecting its condition.
Why not pop your Riedel glasses in the dishwasher and have clean in minutes?
We know you’ll be skeptical about this, but Riedel’s are dishwasher safe if you follow some few simple tips. The heat and the water are usually what bring the lead out. Ever seen a cloudy wine glass before? The cloudy is the lead coming out due to heat and water. For best results, Riedel themselves have given a few guidelines that can help users wash their glasses safely in the dishwasher without breakages. Maximilian Riedel, the Austrian manufacturer of the Riedel wine glasses, confirms that all the Riedel wine glasses are dishwasher safe.
Here are a few pro tips you need to learn before putting your glasses into the dishwasher
• First, Riedel recommends that you use Miele dishwashers. This has been tested in the laboratories and found out that Miele dishwashers to be the best with a lifespan of 1500 washing cycles. This translates to a lifespan of over 20 years.
• To avoid any scratches to your Riedel wine glasses, keep the glassware away from heavier objects like knives and pots. Avoiding contact with other glass or metal will keep the glass scratch free. If possible, use a stemware rack to keep them in one place.
• The glassware needs to be properly spaced in the dishwasher so that they cannot shake or clink. They even recommend that your dishwasher be serviced once a year to avoid the wear and tear that can lead to glass breakage.
• Low mineral water content should be used to avoid stains on the glassware.
• White vinegar can be used to remove the stains.
• Never soak the lead crystal.
• Use modern dishwasher detergents like the Crystal Clean Liquid.
• Use cool cycles was for all glassware.
Following the simple tips above can have your glassware cleaned safely in the dishwasher. However, there are instances where large glassware like the fancy decanters cannot fit into the dishwasher; you should never force them. There are tips on the Riedel website on how you can clean them with ease. Some of the tips for hand washing large glassware include:
• Wash using water that is below warm.
• Hold the glass by its base when drying it.
• The base and bowl of the glass should never be twisted.
• Put glass over the steam of boiling water to shine them instead of using a cleaning cloth.
• Drying the glasses helps reduce water spots.
You know taking care of your wine glasses will maintain their look and feel. If you’re serious about wine and a quality refined life, keeping things of beauty looking and working well is important, but so is not wasting time. In this case, the dishwasher’s a go.
Image credit: riedelglass.com.au